Friday, October 2, 2009

O Mio Babbino Caro (Oh My Dear Papa)





A change of pace this week. This is the most famous aria from Gianni Schicchi. She's a teenager.  She's in love.  She's being dramatic at the top of her lungs.  It's opera so you know things are going to get very, very complicated. Before it all goes to the hell in a hand basket, there is this glorious song pleading for daddy to understand. Unfortunately for her, daddy understands all to well.

Still virtually every soprano worth her salt has sung it simply because it is melodic, powerful and they can splash dramatically all over the place.  Luckily for all concerned, this is a comedy.  Nobody dies except the person who was dead to begin with, and all's well that ends well for a change.

So here you have great sopranos, Puccini, young love, comedy and even advertising that has used this aria to sell stuff.  Take This Tune and start writing.

Italian and then Translation in English

O mio babbino caro
Mi piace, è bello, bello
Vo' andare in Porta Rossa
a comperar l'anello!
Sì, sì, ci voglio andare!
e se l'amassi indarno,
andrei sul Ponte Vecchio,
ma per buttarmi in Arno!
Mi struggo e mi tormento!
O Dio, vorrei morir!
Babbo, pietà, pietà!
Babbo, pietà, pietà!

Oh my dear papa
I like him, he is handsome, handsome
I want to go to Porta Rossa
to buy the ring!
Yes, yes, I want to go there!
And if my love were in vain,
I would go to the Ponte Vecchio
and throw myself in the Arno!
I am being consumed and I am tormented!
Oh God, I'd want to die!
Papa, have pity, have pity!
Papa, have pity, have pity!

3 comments:

Durward Discussion said...

My post will be up tomorrow afternoon.

Travis Cody said...

Mine will be up after midnight. This was a tough one but I figured something out.

maryt/theteach said...

Thanks Jamie for your kind words! This a challenging but fun meme! :)